Thursday, January 28, 2016

Welcome to the South Carolindian

South Carolindian - go ahead, say it
The South Carolindian.

The phrase is fun to say, isn't it?

This Carolina girl will soon be moving for a few months to Southern India, to a city named Bengaluru, which Westerners call Bangalore.

Bangalore is the third largest city in India (behind Mumbai and Delhi) and is home to about 9 million people, which is the same population as NYC.

I will be moving to a city more than 9x larger than my current home, Charlotte. Almost as many people live in Bangalore as live in North Carolina.

Image result for flag of india
Flag of India
I am moving for a work assignment to oversee the ramp-up of a consulting team in my company's office in Bangalore. Over the past few months, I've helped hire and train a team of seven, and I'll be making sure the team is successfully working with the US and planning for growth.

I have always wanted to work overseas for a few months and this is really a perfect opportunity. There are many unknowns I still need to figure out - where I'll be living, where I'll get my groceries, who my friends will be, what will I eat for lunch, and where I'll go for my personal services such as manicures, haircuts and massages (you know, the important stuff). But, figuring this stuff out is like a big puzzle and I can't wait for the adventure.

I plan to use this blog to share stories of my journey with you. Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think!

Bangalore, my new home
Map courtesy of Kids Britannica

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm excited for you (and excited about this blog)! Also, I just got my first manicure in Georgia, and the combination of figuring out where/how to do that and having nicely done nails was probably the highlight of my entire weekend... It matters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Mel! A fresh manicure really does brighten up a day!

      Delete