Friday, February 5, 2016

Top 10 Things I'll Miss

Well, it's arrived - my last week in the states! I've been feeling more and more pensive as my departure date arrives and have been taking more time to "stop and smell the roses." I've been thinking about what I'll miss the most so I can make sure to enjoy these things before I leave this Sunday.

In case you're wondering what those things are, here is my list of the top ten things things I'll miss when I'm in India:

1. My Cat Emmy

Trapped by sleeping kitty!

My little ball of perfection is cuddly and my purring shadow when I'm at home.

2. My church family


NeXus family circa 2013

I'll miss the spiritual and emotional nourishment that my church family provides. I know God will place me in a church in Bangalore, but my heart will be longing to be back at NeXus.

3. The peace and quiet of my living room...

Yeah...I can relate
...and the easy of watching soccer on cable TV.

4. Driving my car

Allow me to introduce you to Blonda - my BLack hONDA :)
On the bright side, I won't be getting any speeding tickets...

5. Being able to easily call my friends and family

What time is it?
You know, timezones.

6. Going to school

Post-Peru class photo
While I'll enjoy taking this semester off, I will miss the intellectual stimulation and the interactions with my classmates and friends.

7. Familiar food options

I ate here in December and was so confused

I love knowing what to order at my favorite restaurants - which pad thais, tacos, and curries really hit the spot. In India, I'll have to learn not only which items on the menu I like, but what each item even is.

8. Drip coffee

My idea of a perfect cup of coffee

In India, they serve mostly espresso, americano, or instant coffee. I'll miss the freshly ground and brewed stuff.

9. Playing soccer

Will miss playing on this team!

Co-ed and women's soccer teams don't seem to be too prevalent in India, but understanding cricket is on my Indian bucket list.


10. Drinking tap water

Crisp and pure

As I prepare to avoid tap water and ice, I'm realizing how much I take tap water for granted.

What about you - if you were moving to India, what do you think you'd miss the most?

4 comments:

  1. The time zone thing is a complete pain for talking to people back home! And why is India's time zone "off" by 30 minutes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's crazy - I have no idea! I have learned that IST stands for "Indian Stretchable Time" :)

      Delete
  2. I feel ya! Where Noah was in Afghanistan was off by 30 minutes too- never made sense of it. And it's funny- Noah and I were just talking about the things we're looking forward to having again once we're back in the States. Can you guess the number one thing I've missed? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm if I had to guess...Bojangles?!!?

    ReplyDelete