Monday, April 4, 2016

Birthday in Bangalore

"Many many happy returns of the day Michelle!"

The first time someone in India wished me a happy birthday like this, I thought it was a sarcastic blessing, as in they hoped I was able to easily return all the gifts I didn't really like.
Cake, pre-smearing
I quickly realized that this greeting was a typical Indian way of saying "Happy Birthday," with all the associated blessings and well wishes.

My recent birthday on Saturday was the first one I've celebrated abroad. Overall it was good, although I missed being able to call more of my family and friends since I was out for most of the weekend and, well, timezones.

On Friday night I went to an expat social event hosted by a group called the Bangalore Expat Club (bec). I've met some young adults there from Italy, Germany, Mexico, the U.S., Iraq, and the Congo, as well as India. Most people are working in India, while a few are here for school. At midnight, the DJ and my new friends wished me a happy birthday.
My new friend Sheryl - yes it was hot and humid!
On Saturday, my work team took me for a day event at a resort called Mango Mist. We started off the day with the traditional "cake smearing," where after you cut your birthday cake, those closest to you make your face eat the cake:
We are part of the cake tribe! 
No I didn't have to wear it all day!

I liked Mango Mist as I was able to enjoy nature and play paintball, which I've never done before. I was also able to conquer a "difficult" level ropes course, enjoy a BBQ and lunch buffet with my co-workers and some of their families.


The downside of the event was that it took over 90 minutes to get there, and 3 hours to get back. Traffic in Bangalore can be horrendously frustrating - it took that long to go less than 20 miles.

When I finally reached my hotel, I found a nice birthday display including a cake, personalized bottle of wine, card and a bouquet of red carnations in my room. This helped put me in a better mood!
Gifts from the hotel

After resting for a bit, one of my new friends from the bec took me out for beef tacos as this is what I was really craving. The beef was imported from Brazil, and I devoured four hard shell tacos, and some taco soup.

I then had the hotel tech support help me connect my computer to the TV, so I could watch El Clásico on the big screen. Even though the game started at midnight, I easily stayed awake to watch Real Madrid come back from a 1-goal deficit, and a red card (thanks Ramos), to beat Barca 2-1. It was a great end to the day.
Group shot from Mango Mist
Sheryl took me out for dinner and dessert on Sunday night. We ate Thai curry and some chili chicken at an Oriental place, then she was craving McDonald's soft-serve which sounded good to me at that moment, too. We stayed out for a while walking around an area called Koramangala, and it was a really nice, chill, enjoyable end to a great birthday weekend.
It was so hot inside that suit
Even though this birthday felt much different than the others, I felt loved and appreciated. Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes - may you have many many happy returns :)

No comments:

Post a Comment