Monday, April 11, 2016

Kerala – “God’s Own Country”

Kerala is one of India’s 29 states, and its motto is “God’s own country” due to the natural beauty and lushness of the state. Kerala is in South India, on the West coast, aka the Malabar coast. Kerala is known for its beaches and backwaters (network of canals), and its lush greenery and peaceful way of life.

This weekend I had a couple of days off of work and I chose Kerala as I was in desperate need of some rest and relaxation - the constant traffic and work stress in Bangalore were really getting to me! After consulting a Lonely Planet guide and many Tripadvisor reviews, I chose Lake Kumarakom in Kerala for my R&R, and stayed at the Kumarakom Lake Resort.
Kumarakom Lake Resort - a bit of Indian paradise
The resort was a little piece of paradise. The climate was tropical, complete with palm trees, humidity and friendly lizards (more on those later). My room was HUGE and came with a private jacuzzi. It was in a two-story building that looks like it’s made up of 4 two-story condos, but each floor is a room to itself. 


Front porch of my "villa" :) 
Every evening from 5:30 – 6:30, the resort offered a “sunset cruise,” complete with live local music, consisting of a drum and a flute. I really enjoyed this part of the day - I went on the cruise all three nights I was there. Check out this video to hear some of the tunes:

The resort specialized in Malayalam cuisine, which is characterized by rice and rice-based breads, seafood, coconut, cashews (which I avoided), fried onions, tamarind, and spices. Bananas are also frequently used; some typical snacks in Kerala are shown here:
Kerala snacks and coffee (I may or may not have eaten four of the rice balls)
Kerala snacks and chai

At one dinner, I tried a vegetable called drumstick. I had initially inquired about the item as it was listed as vegetarian, and I was confused (aren't drumsticks chicken?). I learned that drumsticks are a green fibrous vegetable, boiled as part of a stew; the taste of it reminded me of okra (which Indians call “ladyfingers”). The drumstick remains tough when boiled, so most people chew it for the “meaty” inner portion and juices, then trash the fibers.

Eating the drumstick required more work than eating an artichoke, to put that in perspective.

Kerala rice is another staple of Malayalam cuisine. This red rice is promoted for its health benefits as the fibers are not removed before cooking, giving it the reddish tint.

I liked most of the food I tried; the seafood especially was fresh, and I enjoyed the prevalence of coconut and rice in the cuisine. The resort has a sister hotel in Bangalore that has a Kerala restaurant; I will be sure to check it out.
Appam and prawn curry
I'll post more on the backwaters and other adventures I had soon, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment